Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Queer Conscious MTV?



This particular cultural commentary requires a bit of a back story.

I went to high school in the conservative Midwest at an all boys Jesuit high school. The school, being both Catholic and all-boys, had some serious issues with homophobia and discrimination against LGBT people. You could not walk down the halls without hearing some sort of blatant or implicit harassment of the few openly gay men or slang/slur uses of the terms "queer", "gay", and "fag". As the head of the Young Democrats and a vocal support of LGBT rights, I decided to take action. My junior year, I organized together with some friends a small Day of Silence. It was not advertised, and the result shocked the community, making the paper. The next year, the event included 50+ students and raised awareness throughout the Catholic community. My Spanish teacher, whose daughter worked at MTV, was impressed (despite her political conservatism) and told her daughter to contact me about it because MTV has been working on creating a new character for a show that as-accurately-as-possible portrays the struggles of a gay teenager in high school. So next month I will be working with MTV on development and such things to progress their understanding of the LGBT experience in high school.

What I have found most interesting about this whole thing is the fact that the lovely TV network that brings us such high-class shows as Jersey Shore and Teen Mom are interested in making a character who is gay that accurately portrays the struggles of "out" gay teens in high school. The person I work most closely with is concerned that Kurt (Glee) and other gay characters do not accurately portray the widespread diversity of the LGBT community and wants to draw on the whole of the audience for viewership. With all the problems in media related to race, gender, and sexuality, it is finally nice to hear someone is trying to make a difference. I hope I can do a great job helping out with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment